We have seen that millions of people have been using a laptop for a long time and millions of new customers are being added every day.
Especially during this pandemic, we are seeing that people have started working from home and for that, a laptop or desktop is a must.
Now, there is a burning question in everyone’s minds as to what their new laptop will last for when they are making the investment.
This is because people like to use their devices as long as possible and they also count on their laptops as an investment for the business.
To answer your question about how long do laptops last on average, we can say that they last 3 to 5 years on average for most cases.
However, as with everything else, it depends. That is because not every laptop is made equal and so the lasting average of a laptop also varies.
One of the main components of a laptop’s hardware is its battery. And we have also seen that laptop batteries degrade over time and the battery backup is not as much as when we first got them.
It is also worth noting that however good the laptop might be after a few years, if the battery dies then the whole laptop stops functioning properly until you replace its battery.
To make things simpler, we can answer the question about general laptop lifespan in terms of both battery life and performance.
Table of Contents
- 1 How long do laptops last on average before needing a replacement?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 What is the average lifespan of a laptop?
- 2.2 How long should laptops last in 2021?
- 2.3 Can you expect a laptop to last 10 years?
- 2.4 Is it worth repairing your laptop?
- 2.5 Is 8GB RAM future proof for a laptop?
- 2.6 Can I leave my laptop turned on all the time?
- 2.7 How to make sure that my laptop lasts longer?
How long do laptops last on average before needing a replacement?
We have seen that laptops that have superior hardware components used inside them last much longer than the cheaper ones.
This also means that the expensive laptops will last longer than the budget laptops. Also, the build quality of a laptop tells you how durable it will be over time.
If the construction of a laptop is done using plastic, it might not last longer than a laptop built using metal.
Apart from the laptop’s battery, you can also count on the display and keyboard of a laptop to go bad in a few years’ time if the quality of components is not great.
On the other hand, the laptop’s performance will also make you upgrade to a newer laptop because the internals can’t keep up with the new software requirements.
For example, you have a laptop with years old CPU and GPU but you need better performance then the only option is to upgrade the CPU and GPU which means buying a new laptop.
The duration of how long a laptop will last can also be guessed by how much you pay for a laptop:
- For instance, a laptop that costs between $600-700 might last for 2-4 years.
- But a laptop that is priced at $1000 might have a lifespan of 3-5 years.
- If you are spending more than $1200, you should expect the laptop to run for a long time which is 5-7 years.
Also, as we mentioned earlier, the above lifespan also depends on how well you maintain your laptop. If you use your laptop under heavy load and mostly outdoors, you should expect its lifespan to be lower.
And the reason behind it is that when you use laptops outdoors, the factors such as dust and heat come into play.
If the dust goes inside your laptop’s components, it can slow down their working and degrade your performance over time.
It is also worth noting that your use case for a laptop also tells you how long your laptop will last on average.
If you are a video editor, gamer, coder, or blogger, you will obviously use the laptop a lot more than the casual user who just browses the web, checks on emails and sees videos on YouTube or Netflix.
This means the laptop of a casual user will last longer than the heavy user because of heavy CPU and GPU-intensive tasks.
How long do Gaming Laptops last on average?
We have mentioned above that a laptop generally lasts for 3-5 years on average. But there is a whole new category of laptops called Gaming Laptops.
Also, they are pretty much trending right now and even non-gaming people are buying them because they do give you much better performance and cooling compared to regular laptops.
So the question arises about how to do gaming laptops last on average.
To answer this question, we will have to once again bring the factor of cost of a laptop into reference:
- So if you are spending under $700 on a gaming laptop, you can expect it to last for 3-4 years.
- If your budget is higher and you are spending close to $1000 on a gaming laptop, it should serve you well for at least 5 years.
- The gaming laptops in the premium category that cost more than $1200 will definitely give you solid performance for 6-7 years from now.
Therefore, it does matter if you spend more on a laptop right now because it will give you performance for that much longer compared to going for a budget gaming laptop right now.
However, do keep in mind that if you buy a gaming laptop under $600 and just do casual gaming and browsing the internet then it should definitely last you a solid 10 years.
There are a few tips that we would like to give you in order to increase the average lifespan of your laptop so do read along and follow the steps to increase the longevity of your laptop.
Increase your Laptop’s lifespan by doing these things
As with anything in life such as even your personal health, it also matters to take proper care of your laptop’s health.
Now, we don’t mean to say that you should do regular checkups of your laptop but there are a few things that you can do for your laptop by yourself.
- First of all, always make sure to charge your laptop 100% and immediately unplug the charger because overcharging a laptop is harmful to its battery.
- Also, when you see that your laptop’s battery has gone down below 20%, plug it into a charger and don’t let the battery drain completely because that is very harmful as well.
- If you can, make sure to clean your laptop from inside and out.
- Cleaning a laptop from outside can definitely be done such as cleaning your keyboard from food and dust as well as cleaning the ports and fan outlets with a dry cloth.
- Make sure to use your laptop in a well-ventilated area because blocking the heat of a laptop from coming out will make it overheat and degrade its performance.
- Update your laptop to its latest software version from time to time because new software updates will always improve its performance.
There is also a very good video about how long should laptop batteries last on average which we have linked below.
The general idea is that if you use your laptop for long hours then your battery life will obviously be lower but if the laptop is used for shorter periods in a day then you might get even 12-hours of battery life.
As for the lifespan of the laptop’s battery life, it should last you a solid 5 years if there is no unexpected damage to the battery either due to manufacturing defects or otherwise.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average lifespan of a laptop?
Generally speaking, your laptop should last 3 to 5 years depending on your usage and build quality.
How long should laptops last in 2021?
If you buy a laptop in 2021, you might not need to buy a new laptop for the next 5 years because of the quality hardware and software inside this year’s laptops.
Can you expect a laptop to last 10 years?
Yes, you can expect a laptop to last 10 years if your usage is just casually browsing the web and checking on emails from time to time. However, it will definitely show its age after maybe 6-7 years.
Is it worth repairing your laptop?
Repairing your laptop only makes sense if the repairing cost is less than 50% of the total cost of the laptop. Otherwise, you are better off selling that laptop and buying a new one.
Is 8GB RAM future proof for a laptop?
We have seen that 8GB RAM is enough right now for doing everyday tasks and even for casual gaming and web development. But to be future proof, you should buy a laptop with 16GB RAM.
Can I leave my laptop turned on all the time?
Yes, you can but you should not leave your laptop turned on because it will degrade your battery life and affect performance over time.
How to make sure that my laptop lasts longer?
In order to increase the lifespan of your laptop, make sure to follow all the tips that we mentioned above. It is also good to replace the components of your laptop in every few years to make it brand new again.