We have seen that in this day and age, people are also getting away from wired connections more and more.
This is because there are many advantages of going wireless such as no risks of cables getting cut and also the ability to work from anywhere while staying connected.
Nowadays, people are looking for ways in which they can connect two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10.
First of all, we should tell you that it is definitely possible to connect two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10 and the process is quite easy as well.
So in this article, we are also going to share the exact process with which you can connect two laptops wireless on Windows 10.
But before that, we will need to inform you that there are two major ways in which you can connect two laptops wirelessly:
- Connecting two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10 using WiFi
- Connecting two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10 via Bluetooth
Table of Contents
How to Connect Two Laptops Wirelessly on Windows 10
As we have mentioned above, there are two major ways in which you can do the process of connecting two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10.
So we are going to share the first method of connecting two laptops wirelessly which is via joining an existing WiFi network.
If you already have a wireless connection at your home, it is very easy to connect two laptops wirelessly by connecting them to the same network.
However, do not worry if you don’t already have a wireless connection setup at your home.
Because we have a solution for connecting two laptops wirelessly even if you don’t have an existing wireless connection.
You need to create an ad-hoc wireless connection in order to connect two laptops wirelessly.
Connecting two laptops wirelessly using an existing WiFi connection
If you want to connect two laptops wirelessly, the easiest and the best method is to connect them to the same existing wireless connection.
Because not only is the existing WiFi connection going to give you great speeds and range, it is also going to give you the reliability of the connection and you can even access devices on the same network using the same connection.
Once you have joined both of your laptops on the same connection, you can easily share files between them and even do as much as you want.
However, we do realize that most people around the world don’t have an existing WiFi connection which is why we are going to share with you the alternate method of connecting two laptops wirelessly.
Connect two laptops wirelessly by creating an ad-hoc wireless network
Creating an ad-hoc network on your laptop is easy but not very straightforward so you will have to follow the guide mentioned below step-by-step in order to achieve the desired results.
In this guide, we will tell you how to create an ad-hoc network as well as also how to connect two laptops wirelessly to that ad-hoc network and achieve a wireless connection between the two devices.
- First, you will need to go to Windows PowerShell on your laptop which can be found by right-clicking on the Start menu. After right-clicking on Start menu, you will see a list of options.
- From these options, you have to select the Windows PowerShell (Admin) option and open the same.
- Once the PowerShell window is opened on your laptop, you need to type the following command:
netsh wlan show drivers
- After typing the above-mentioned command, you will see a host of options in front of you. From all of these options, we have to focus on one thing which is whether or not your device supports creating a virtual access point.
- This can be found out by checking the Hosted network supported option. If this setting shows No then you need to try this on a different device because the current device does not support creating an ad-hoc network.
- If the setting shows Yes then you can move forward with this guide on the same device.
- Type the following command in order to create an ad-hoc WiFi connection on your device:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=adhoc key=password Note: you need to replace the "SSID" field with the preferred name for your connection and the "password" field with your preferred password for the connection.
- If there are no errors while creating this ad-hoc connection, you will see that a new connection with your given name has been created.
- You can check this connection by going to the WiFi Settings of your Second Laptop.
- Now, connect your second laptop to this ad-hoc WiFi connection by typing the password that you have set while creating the connection.
- That’s it, you will now be able to connect two laptops wirelessly using this ad-hoc wireless connection.
One important thing that we would like to tell you is that when you would like to end this ad-hoc connection, you need to go to Windows PowerShell once again.
Inside the Windows PowerShell terminal, you need to type the following connection and your ad-hoc wireless network will be closed as well as the connected devices will be disconnected:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
Connect two laptops wirelessly via Bluetooth connection
We have mentioned that you can connect two laptops wirelessly via WiFi, be it an existing connection or creating an ad-hoc network.
However, there is another way in which you can connect two laptops wirelessly and that is by using a Bluetooth connection between both devices.
But it is mandatory that both the devices support Bluetooth connection for this method to work so make sure that Bluetooth is available on both your laptops.
With that said, let us see how we can connect two laptops wirelessly using a Bluetooth connection.
It is also worth noting that the range and speeds you get from connecting two laptops wirelessly via Bluetooth will be much lesser compared to WiFi but if you are in close connection, Bluetooth is the preferred option.
- First, start the process by enabling Bluetooth connection on both the laptops you are trying to connect to each other.
- After this, open Settings and go to Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices and then head over to Add Bluetooth or other device option.
- Inside the Add a Device window, select the first option which will be “Bluetooth”
- Now, you will see a list of nearby Bluetooth devices that are ready to get paired with your device.
- Select your desired Bluetooth device to pair and connect two laptops wirelessly using Bluetooth.
In this manner, you can send and receive files from one device to another and vice-versa using the Bluetooth connection that we have already set up between them.
We have listed down two of the best method to connect two laptops wirelessly on Windows 10 in this guide.
If you found out this guide useful, do comment below in the comments section as to why you want to connect two laptops wirelessly.
Also, connecting two laptops using a LAN cable will give you better results so also let us know why you don’t prefer that method of connection.