One thing we have seen nowadays is that the keyboards and specifically some of the keys on HP Laptops have been going bad quite commonly.
If you are also someone whose keys are not working on the HP laptop then you are at the right place.
However, if this happens to you then the first thing you need to do is not panic at all.
Yes because we have seen that a lot of people panic in such situations and do further damage to their devices.
We can also reassure you by saying that it is not too hard to fix such a problem as well…
So here are the four most common ways to fix keys not working on the hp laptop issue.
Table of Contents
Common solutions to fix keys not working on HP laptops
We have mentioned the five most common solutions to solve this problem of keys not working on your HP Laptop.
So you can try each and every step mentioned in this guide and see if it worked or not.
If it didn’t, try the next one and if nothing works then it is possibly hardware damage so you might have to send the laptop for RMA.
Solution 1: Reinstall/Update your keyboard drivers on HP Laptop
The first and most common solution to this problem is that you need to reinstall drivers on your HP Laptop.
Yes, it is sometimes possible that the drivers on your HP Laptop can get deleted or corrupted which may cause the keys to stop working.
For this, here is how you can reinstall the drivers on your HP Laptop:
- First, go to the Start button on your laptop located at the bottom left of your screen and right-click on it.
- Click on Device Manager from the list of options that come up to open device manager on your laptop.
- Now, find the “Keyboards” section inside Device Manager find your keyboard from the list.
- After that, right-click on the keyboard which might be named as “HID keyboard device” and select the “Uninstall device” option.
- Once the device gets uninstalled, restart your laptop which will reinstall the device which is the keyboard, and also reinstall the drivers and update them as well.
- Most likely, your problem will be solved after this solution but it is not then continue with the next solution.
[Working] Solution 2: Reseat your Laptop battery
Yes, if the above solution to update or reinstall drivers on your HP Laptop doesn’t work then this one is most likely to work.
We have observed that most users are finding that reseating their laptop battery fixes most problems they have on their laptop.
This is because if the battery’s connection to the laptop is weak then the power delivery might not be proper and that is why the keyboard or something else might not work properly.
So in order to reseat the battery on your HP Laptop, follow the instructions below:
- Before removing the battery, power off your HP Laptop.
- Now, disconnect the charger if connected and carefully remove the battery.
- Make sure that the battery on your laptop is user-replaceable or else you will have to take the help of a technician to reseat the battery.
- Once you have removed the battery, blow any dust from it and reseat the battery.
- After a minute, turn the laptop back on.
- Now see if the keys on your hp laptop are working once again. We believe that they will start working again.
In our testing, reseating the laptop battery gets the job done for most people using an HP laptop so we do hope that it works for you too.
However, it is recommended to also reinstall/update your keyboard drivers because it is possible that you have a driver issue.
In any case, do let us know in the comments section below as to what troubleshooting method worked for you.